How long should you unplug a fridge to reset it?
A fridge is a necessary device in every home, but its cooling system is subject to problems. How long should you unplug a fridge to reset it?
We’ll go through how to reset a fridge in this article, along with how long you should unplug it for the best results.
- Find your Appliance Repair man here
Understanding the Fridge’s Cooling System
It’s crucial to first comprehend how a refrigerator’s cooling system functions.
- The compressor of the refrigerator cools the air within by circulating refrigerant through a number of coils.
- On the coils, dust and debris can build up over time, decreasing the cooling system’s effectiveness.
- The refrigerator’s thermostat may also break down, causing it to either cool too much or too little.
How to Reset the Fridge?
You must unplug your refrigerator from the power source for a predetermined period of time in order to reset it.
- Depending on the type of refrigerator and the problem you’re trying to fix, there may be a difference in the recommended unplugging period.
- In general, unplugging the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes is advised to give the cooling system a chance to reset.
How Long Should You Unplug the Fridge?
The advised disconnecting period for refrigerators with top freezers is at least 30 minutes.
- It is advised to unplug bottom-freezer refrigerators for at least an hour.
- The advised disconnecting period for side-by-side refrigerators is at least two hours.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that these are only general recommendations. The actual unplugging duration may vary based on the particular problem your fridge is having.
- For instance, it could take longer for the cooling system to reset if the fridge’s coils are heavily clogged with dust and dirt.
- Once you’ve unplugged the refrigerator for the advised period of time, plug it back in and let it cool before re-loading it with food.
Click HERE for more info on Fridge Repairs
Additional Tips for maintaining a fridge’s cooling system
There are a few more recommendations you can make to preserve the effectiveness of the cooling system in addition to resetting your refrigerator.
- Every six months, clean the coils on the back of the refrigerator.
- Keep the door seals clear of debris and clean.
- Maintain a temperature in the refrigerator of 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Celsius.